I was having a little contest with myself to see how long I could go without getting my hair done. I've only had it done once since we moved here in January and I wasn't that thrilled, so I was putting it off. I should say I wasn't that thrilled and it cost a fortune.
I made it until two weeks ago when I could stand the grey no longer and bought some bottled color at the grocery store. The girls and I had big fun doing it while Dugald was away, and when he returned I had light brown hair. All over. The problem was I must not have left it on long enough because I was still seeing grey hair all over the place. And my thick hair was getting puffier by the minute. It is so thick that whenever I get it cut they have to thin it out for me and that had not been done in a loooonnnggg time so I was looking pretty scary. I should have taken a before picture, but it wouldn't have been that impressive since I've been wearing it in a ponytail constantly.
All that to say, and I realize this is getting wordy, I tried a new place today. It was the last day of the school holidays and therefore my final opportunity to have a daytime babysitter so I booked an appointment at the last minute and was scheduled with the new girl (of course).
So, it was with a bit of fear and trepidation that I got on the bus and headed downtown for another stab at getting a haircut I liked. The fear and trepidation had to do with the cost, obviously I'm not too worried about wearing hair that looks horrible since I've been doing that for months.
Olivia, that's her name, was great! I mean she did a good job fixing the mess I'd made of my hair, but what was really great was that she was so fun to talk to, I feel like I have a new friend. And, and this is the VERY best part, she offered to walk the dog, asked if she could even! For free!! Yippeee!!!! She doesn't live too far from us, she's in Kelburn, and she loves animals and recently had to put down the dog she'd had since she was 14. I am elated - not about her dog, but about her interest in ours.
Another great thing - she and her husband just moved back to Wellington from Auckland and so they are staying at her parent's house for awhile while they get re-settled. I asked if they might be interested in house,dog and cat-sitting sometime and she said of course she'd love too. Now if we can just pry Dugald away from his job we can go away knowing the animals will be well looked after.
Dugald came and saw me and brought me lunch while I was getting all done (I was there for hours) because his office is just across the street from the hairdresser. It was fun to see him in the middle of the day and he got to meet Olivia. When I chatted with him later to tell him all this exciting news and give him the rundown on her family it turned out he knows who her father is, he was with TVNZ for awhile so he's pretty well-known (except of course to me).
After my hair appointment I met up with Dugald again and we went to see the Doulos which is docked at Wellington Harbour and reminds us of our time on the Anastasis. The ship must be from the same era because they really do look alike. There was a big book sale onboard so I went for a browse since I still can't get over book prices here. The prices were a lot more reasonable but the books were all pretty old and I already had, or had read, everything they were selling that I was interested in so I went away empty handed but it was still fun.
All in all I was gone for most of the day which was a lovely break and I got to do some grown-up things without my little darlings. I came home refreshed and much better looking and ready to dive in and start our new school year next week. Woo hoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment