Thursday, July 17, 2008

I am from. . .

I am from flip-flops and sand between your toes, Evinrude motors and warm sunshiny days.
I am from warm colors, the smell of  the sea, scrubbed pine floors and gentle breezes. 
I am from palm trees and sea grass, seagulls and pelicans, the sound of waves lapping the shore. 
I am from big family gatherings, great southern food, boating and biking and backyard barbecues.
I am from a home full of laughter, tears, joys and sorrows, the sounds of family.
I am from those who celebrate together, grieve together, and get together for no reason at all 
From "Be nice to your sister, she's the best friend you'll ever have." to "Because I'm the mom, that's why."
I am from those who fear God, who worship Him in the most formal tradition, who reverence Him. He has always been a part of my life.
I am from Mississippi, Florida and now the world. 
I am from fried snook, smoked mullet, conch fritters , crabcakes, greek salad, stone crabs and key lime pie.
From the lineage of he who keeps the world safe from crime and she who makes the world a place we want to be. 
From he who knows the peace and comfort of the sea and she who knows the peace and comfort of the Lord.
I am from that place in the heart that is only remembered fondly, the memory of which is sacred, and the re-creation of which is but a dream.

No comments: