Saturday, December 12, 2009

More pre-Christmas celebrating

Oh the end-of-the-year fun!! Those of you in the northern hemisphere probably don't realize it but down under we not only have Christmas in the summer, but it's also the end of the school year and therefore a time for all manner of shows and recitals and whatnot to take place. We are very busy bees. Katie and Josie have been preparing for their ballet recital tomorrow, Meggie and Katie had their end-of-the-year horseback riding party today, we've had several birthday parties to attend in the last few weeks and upcoming Christmas celebrations aplenty.

All that to say, these pictures are a bit old. We went a few weekends ago down to Kirk's - Wellington's (and I daresay New Zealand's) nicest department store. They were unveiling their Christmas windows and had all sorts of activities going on to celebrate. It was a rather gloomy cold and wet day but we went on into town to join in the festivities.
Upon arrival we heard some great B-52s music being performed by the Beat Girls so we rocked out with them awhile. The kids had a ball - and I did too - dancing in the street, literally! The girls had some impressive signature moves but it was hard to catch them on film as it was quite crowded.




After the performance we managed to get a picture with two out of three of the girls. The musical extravaganza was followed by a great show by a magician that kept the girls entertained for at least another 30 minutes so I got to have a nice, uninterrupted shop in Kirks while Daddy stood guard on the periphery.
Later that same weekend, I think, we went to the English classic "Dick Wittington and His Cat". It was done in pantomime and adapted for a New Zealand audience and we all laughed a lot and loved it - the girls even got to go up on stage and participate a bit. We went with our sweet friends the Sheppards.




I'm going to do my best to shoot a bit of video at the recital tomorrow and if I succeed I'll post the highlights here. Hope you have a great weekend!!

No comments: