Saturday, March 7, 2009

Zoo Sleepover

Last night the oldest three girls and Dugald went to the Wellington Zoo for a sleepover with a group of other homeschooling families. They had dinner here then headed on over for their night of adventure.

Here they are with their friend Rachel. Rachel's mom Anna and I hit it off immediately when we met last year at Cats. She is Canadian but lived in the U.S. for a long time and is married to a Kiwi. We've enjoyed getting to know each other better this year and have a lot in common.
I really should have Dugald do a "guest blog" about the evening, but my entire family is currently asleep - I hear it was a rough night!
Becky is one of Rachel's sisters, she is next to Josie. That's Rachel again sandwiched between Meggie and Katie. They are also a family with four children, only their fourth is a boy.
This is Peter (Anna's Kiwi husband) with the girls. Anna is also my friend who looks after Josie and Ellie on Fridays so I can go horseback riding with Meggie and Katie. Their family also loves Settlers of Catan as much as we do, so we have game nights together as well.

Anyone remember Meggie's obsession with "The Lion King" back in the day? She still loves all animals but particularly lions like Simba or Aslan.
Of course there were kangaroos. . .


and dingoes. Dingoes are wild dogs from Australia.


This dingo better not eat my baby (sorry for all of you who don't know the reference here).



Ellie and I had a slumber party of our own - she got to sleep in our bed with me for the evening. To say that she was disappointed to not get to go with her sisters would be a major understatement. I tried to make it up to her with lots of treats, tv and whatnot.

I have given up sugar for lent. I probably should just go about it quietly but I need the accountability of telling people because I'm finding it terribly difficult. I guess that is the point. You would think that given how much sugar I eat in a day I would lose weight giving it up - but I may in fact end up gaining pounds because I'm constantly eating to try and fill the void in my palate left by the lack of sugar!!

We're off to a big 40th birthday party this afternoon so I better finish the laundry and finally get dressed. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

The zoo sleep over sounds like a blast for all except Dugald. I too have given up sugar in the past for lent. This year I told Brad that I would be doing it once again and he implored me for the sake of the children not to. I wimped out a bit and only cut out chocolate. Good luck to you.