Sunday, March 22, 2009

Otaki Forks

So, the "camping out" in my room idea worked on one hand - I wasn't worried about hearing the girls in the night and went to bed happy they were all right by my side. On the other hand, I heard every move they made, and they moved a lot, all night long. I also heard Josie talking in her sleep - but I was gratified to hear her using nice manners in her dreams. We had two nights of this - but tonight they will be back in their own rooms!






On Saturday we drove to Otaki and met up with Hugh and Margaret at the Brown Sugar Cafe for a cup of coffee. As I've mentioned previously it is one of my favorite places to stop and the girls love it too - they immediately were on the prowl for the three resident cats.


After a flat white bowl (I needed caffeine desperately) for me, a more modest sized coffee for Hugh and Margaret and a cold drink for the girls we were on the road, headed to Otaki Forks for a picnic.

The road was a bit precarious in places, and at one point we wondered if we were really on the right path, but we finally made it to a beautiful picnic spot. It was cloudy and rain threatened at first, but eventually it cleared up and we had a lovely day. The girls thought it was fabulous -a scene straight out of Little House on the Prairie.






Margaret brought a wonderful picnic and after lunch the girls got in their togs so they could have a play out in the water (which was FREEZING).


Ellie realizes it's a bit brisk.



You have to click on this next picture and enlarge it, it's hilarious. Katie thought it would be funny to toss some water on her sister, Josie obviously disagreed.

We had a really nice afternoon - thank you Hugh and Margaret for making the drive to see us!! We loved our time with you, as always.

No comments: