Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Life Well Lived

Someone very dear to me died today. . . I almost don't know how to label her. Techically speaking she was my step-grandmother, but that name hardly defines who she was to me. She came into my life and became "family" when I was only six-years-old. In what was the most difficult and trying time of my life she accepted me and set a standard for the rest of my new family. I think they would have accepted me anyway, but here was a lady that could have let disappointment or unhappiness with the sad situation of divorce taint her affection for me, but she never did.

I think part of the reason I now have what is considered a large family by today's standards is because of the joy of being a part of her large family. I have seen modeled from them what it means to support one another, love one another, go through a crisis together, celebrate together. I am so grateful that she chose to never make a distinction between me and her true grandchildren. I am so grateful for the legacy she leaves behind of valuing family. She will be very missed, I'm thankful she died peacefully.
This picture is one of my favorites, on the left is my grandmother Lou Oliver, and on the right is Hazel Crown who went to be with the Lord today.

2 comments:

Amy said...

So sorry Dawn - what a legacy people like that leave. They inspire us to really live to make a difference.

Kelly said...

Miss you Dawn- love your blog post!