Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Ocean Swim


Way back at the end of January Katie and I participated in the Capital Classic Ocean Swim down at Oriental Bay. Katie swam in the 200-meter race and I swam one kilometer. The Hogg family has to be credited for their persistence in getting us to participate, I've been putting it off for two years now! I was keen to do it our first year here after training with my ladies swimming group, but the day of the race was actually our moving day from our little cottage on Campbell Street so it didn't work out. Last year my only excuse was that I hadn't trained in the sea and that the weather was not pleasant. This year I also haven't been in the sea but with lots of encouragement from Fleur (who I might add wasn't even able to swim it this year as she was at a school reunion) and Alison I decided to attempt the shorter distance. Julia talked Katie into giving the 200 meter a go. 

Julia and Rich picked us up bright and early on Saturday morning and we drove down to his parent's place right across the street from the race. Katie and Julia quickly suited up in their togs and wetsuits and off we went. They were adorable - and a little cold.


The organizers got all the kids together for a team photo - Katie is on the far left - and after some safety instructions they walked around to the start of the race.




We also saw our neighbor Libby there - all three girls had a fantastic swim!


After Katie's event it was my turn. Katie snapped this picture of me and Alison (flattering isn't it?) before we began.



The water wasn't as cold as I had feared so that was a bonus, but it was a bit choppy. After our quick safety briefing the horn to start the race sounded a little bit sooner than I expected and I found myself towards the front of the pack. I had to swim at my maximum speed to not get run over, and even so I was hit and kicked incessantly until after I had rounded the first buoy. By the time I reached that buoy I was completely out of breath and I seriously considered flagging down the lifeguard on the surfboard, but instead I flipped onto my back and did some backstroke until I could breathe again. As I rounded the third buoy some man started swimming on top of me and would not move over for anything - I was hemmed in on both sides so decided to just stop swimming and tread water in order to not be hit anymore. After he got past me I swam with all the energy I had left, which actually wasn't much, to the finish. I thought my legs might give out when I got up to run across the finish line! Surprisingly when we got the results I found out I had placed fourth in my age group - much better than I expected! Alison came in second.

All in all I'm glad to have done it and I think Katie definitely enjoyed her race - but I'm not sure if I'll be signing up for the 2.8 K next year, it may be something I just cross off my bucket list and call it a day!

1 comment:

jh3231 said...

Way to go Dawn! Your adventurous spirit continues to amaze me!!!