My amazing mother-in-law turned 80 at the beginning of the month and one of her sons organized an incredible surprise party for her. We were all amazed he could pull it off - I wasn't sure which would be more difficult, finding a date when everyone could be there or making sure Margaret didn't find out about it ahead of time. As I'm awful at keeping secrets I basically didn't talk to her for at least a week prior to the party in order not to give anything away, with the exception of her actual birthday which was a few days before the party when we had brief conversation just to wish her well.
The party was held out at Ruth Pretty's place - for my American family Ruth is an amazing chef, caterer, and cookbook author here in New Zealand. She and her husband Paul work together like a well-oiled machine. The family gathered - including Andrew and Debs back from Australia and Hamish back from Berlin - and Ant drove a van full of Margaret's closest friends down from Palmerston North.
I'd say she was definitely surprised!
The children had a fantastic time getting to hang out with their cousins again, and Ruth and Paul had bags of treats and food organized for them on arrival which were a total hit! It gave them something to do and made sure they didn't get hungry and grumpy before the meals were served.
The "A" team were all present and accounted for - such a treat for Margaret and Hugh, and ok, for the rest of us too. We don't like to tell them too often but we really love the "A" team and we love that they love each other too. Margaret and Hugh have raised an amazing group of people, I feel blessed to have married in.
Most of the "B" team was also present, Ant missed out on this picture but he was there, and Mike couldn't make it because he is still busy traveling the world. We also took a big picture of the entire family including the B-team and all offspring that were present but I don't have a copy on my camera, I hope to get one from the photographer as the family has certainly grown since the last family picture at Hugh's 80th.
We had some sweet and funny and moving and historical speeches in honor of Margaret. The best line of the day though was when Kate muddled her words and said "Mom never failed to put herself first."
After plenty of delicious food it was time for the birthday cake - and Margaret asked her namesake Meggie to help her blow out the candles.
It was a great day but all the eating and socializing left Hugh in need of a rest and Dugald insisted I get a picture (lest you get upset with me Hugh :).






















2 comments:
You forgot to point out that I had said I didn't want a celebration, but agreed to a picnic with just those who could come from Wellington.
It was a marvellous party though, and I was thoroughly spoilt. I'm blessed indeed with such a wonderful family, both A and B teams.
How lovely. Happy Birthday, Margaret! The picture of the A team is really great.
xoxo Shannon
Post a Comment