Thursday, July 23, 2009

Homosassa Springs

While we were staying at the river we went to Homosassa Springs State Park for a day to see some native Florida wildlife - most notably the manatees. The girls were fascinated, especially animal lover Meggie, and "borrowed" my camera for lots of shots of their favorite creatures. Here are just some of the animals we saw. . .
An owl. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as far as what kind.
Flamingos of course - very lovely.
The American Bald Eagle:
These are rose-colored spoonbills, though it's hard to see their pink hue from this picture:
A bear - he wouldn't roar for us but we did watch him stand up and scratch his back on a tree and go for a swim.
Swan:
I'm not sure what this one is but she was just checking on her eggs in this picture:
Before sitting on them again, so cute!
This lovely thing was just hanging out on the fence, some sort of colorful cricket:
And finally, the great manatee, or sea cow:
We had a great time and went back to the house to cool off in the river. There were dragonflies everywhere and for some reason I decided to photograph one, I guess I was still in nature mode or something.
Speaking of nature mode - look at the sweet baby au natural on the boat:
Ellie gets a cuddle from Mimi after her swim.
I'm a bit behind on the blogging and emailing and whatnot because we've just been flat out with having fun and seeing people, it's hard to believe our time is winding down here. We miss Daddy and our family and friends in New Zealand but we sure are having a blast in the sunshine! Lots of love to all!! xoxoxo

No comments: