Monday, July 9, 2012

Papa's 70th Birthday

It was my Dad's 70th birthday last week - I'm so grateful we were all here to celebrate with him! Shannon made a fantastic poster full of pictures from his growing up years. We all had fun trying to see which grandchildren had which traits from him. Everyone signed it so it was hidden in the garage before being presented to the birthday boy. 

Ali and Uncle Wayne sign the card while Suzie and Will look on.

When we arrived I found Dad in the yard with Anders watching the trains - that's the "trait" they share! They both sat there for quite awhile without moving - and for Anders that is rather unusual.






The kids all gave him a great sign for outside his train house - or station - in the backyard.

Dad and Jayne

Dad and his brother Wayne.

Stacy and Dugald

Aunt Maureen (Dad's Cousin) and her husband Jeff, Dad, Brian and Shannon.

Lilly and Meggie

Chris, Will and Josh in the pool.

How many cousins can fit in a hot tub?


Still lots of cheerleading happening.

Time for birthday cake and candles.


I don't know what we were talking about here but I love Shannon's expression - it had to be an Ali story.

Anna and Josie

Ellie showing Josh where to go to catch lizards.


Katie kissing the frog she caught - hoping it would turn into a prince?
Daddy I hope your birthday filled you with joy - you should be proud of your 70 years. I admire you for so many things - your generosity to everyone, your soft heart, your empathy for others, your steadfastness and faithfulness, your work ethic, your strength and so much more. But mostly I'm just grateful that you are my dad and that I know, really know deep down, how committed you are to family above all else. I feel like that is the trait you have passed on to me and it's given me a sense of comfort and security my whole life to know that you are always there and will always have my back. I hope that my children know that same sense of me being on their team as I have known from you. I love you.

No comments: