Sunday, December 11, 2011

Taupo Half-Ironman

We've just returned from an amazing weekend in Taupo where I participated in the half-ironman as a part of a team. We had 14 teams and 4 individuals who went together as "Karori for Glory" and competed together. I did the swim portion of the event which was a 2K swim in the very cold lake. I've been nervous about the event even though swimming 2Ks is easy for me - I hate wearing a wetsuit, I hate being cold and I hate swimming in a crowd. However, my good friend Fleur encouraged all of us to sign up and I'm so glad I did - there is a real sense of accomplishment at having conquered my fears. Dugald was an awesome support and encouragement and the girls had a blast hanging out with so many of their friends for the weekend. I had a fantastic team and we rocked 15th place out of the female teams competing, so yay us! (Don't ask me how many all-female teams there were, I don't know but probably not a lot). Our friend and neighbor across the street organized the "Karori for Glory" shirts and baseball caps for everyone and we all rocked the race in our blue and certainly stood out from the crowd as there were so many of us. 

Me, Julie and Fleur about to swim - it's 6:15 in the morning!

Milena and Murray cheer us on.

More Karori for Glory supporters at the swim start.

Alison and Lisa (Lisa is my biker)





Milena telling me to think of every sorority girl who ever wronged me and swim for revenge.

The purple caps (teams) started 10 minutes after the white caps (individuals).



"Mom no one looks good in a wetsuit." Agreed.


My little encouragers! My biggest encourager took the picture. 

Ellie and her friend Pascalle

My teammate Lisa rocking the 90K bike ride.



Richard with his medal - he was the first of our individual competitors to finish - he finished in 5 hours even. Amazing!

Josie, Ellie and Isabel.

Fleur and Richard


Kids playing rugby while we waited to run our runners in to the finish.



My teammate Kathryn on the 21.1 K run to end the race.

The kids ran everyone in for the finish - here is Kathryn finishing up for our team - the Karori Dynamos. 


No comments: