I've been pondering recently how busy we all are. . . it's a good thing in some ways. . . we're getting more settled, meeting people, the girls are all having new experiences . . it's good. But, it's also challenging to be the places we need to be to pursue these activities and still find time to be at home, together, as a family in an unhurried environment where we can just enjoy each other. So, I'm thinking about how to carve out more time and how to reduce our activities. . .no answers yet because it's hard to stop doing something once you start.
The Karori Athletics program is an example - I actually signed the girls up for it knowing our plates were pretty full, but wanting them to have the track and field experience. I often sign them up for things that I can't provide them as a homeschool mom, and track and field wasn't my strength! I also acquiesced because it fit into our schedule more easily than most other activities (the oldest three can all participate and all at the same time), and they meet at the park two doors down from our house. It's perfect really.
However, one of my children doesn't love it. She isn't the fastest runner and, like her mother, doesn't enjoy running. She likes the jumping and throwing, but not the running. As you know though, running is a big part of track and field. So, I gave her the option of not doing it next year, but asked her to try to finish out this year. Funnily enough, once I gave her a way out of it (sort of) she decided she really wanted to continue with it. . . which proves my point that once we start it's hard to stop, even when it's not a favorite!!
All that being said, we had a beautiful night for the program Wednesday night. . . here are some pics of the girls:
Josie and her friend Izzy (in front of her) await their turn in the relay race. I suggested a skirt might not be the best thing to wear to this activity, but as you can see decided not to enforce a change.
Katie attempting the long jump:
1 comment:
I love reading your blog... there is no telling what new thing you all may be up to! By the way, I am amazed at the amount of catalogs you get at your po box... They gave me a carton this week when I picked up because there was so much mail (shamefully it had been a few weeks!) Much love.... lori
Post a Comment