Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ballet Exams

Here are the promised photos of Katie and Josie getting ready for their ballet exams. Josie's was this morning, early this morning, and Katie's was last week. Ballet over here has been a bit different from their studio in Texas, so it's been an adjustment. Over here it's been a lot more about actual ballet and technique, rather than about performance and having fun which was the focus in Texas for their age groups. Both Katie and Josie are good dancers and have a natural sense of rhythm and timing, so they've done quite well despite being the new girls in the class. They've also made special friends, which of course warms my heart. 

Many moons ago when I was a young girl I took ballet in Clearwater, Florida from a lovely New Zealander named Peggy Wallace. Miss Peggy was the best teacher in town and taught us much the same way my girls are being taught by Miss Fiona. When I was at Denys McDouall's funeral I met Andrew's mother (I know this is getting complicated - Andrew is Dugald's boss and Denys' husband) and she used to own a studio with none other than that very same Peggy Wallace who once taught me. How weird is that?? Meggie and Katie were at the funeral too so Mrs. McDouall told them all about their Mommy's ballet teacher and encouraged Katie for her upcoming exams. It IS  a small world after all!

Now for the pictures:

Katie getting her hair done by Miss Fiona



With her special friend Pippa, ready to go into her exam.



With Abbie and Pippa - one more girl went in with them for the testing but she was running too late for me to get a photo.
Checking themselves out in the mirror.
This morning we arrived with Miss Josie and she got her hair done as well, along with her special friend Bella.


Having a look in the mirror.

Josie and Bella


Lucy, Bella and Josie ready to get in there and do their best!
Miss Fiona telling the girls that they were very special because their exam was going to be video taped and made into a training tape for instructors all over the world.
Katie will get her certificate at a later date, her Mommy feels confident she will have done very well. Good job girls!!!

2 comments:

Butterfly Chaser Photography said...

Such pretty ballerinas! Love the first picture of Katie getting her hair done and so obviously not enjoying it...so Katie :)

Oh, and Happy Anniversary!

Shannon said...

They are so precious. I'll totally trade you a girl for a boy. I might just have to stick a tutu on Anders.