Tuesday, October 7, 2008

And the Angels Rejoiced

It has been an emotional day! This morning Dugald, Meggie, Katie and I attended a funeral for a mom of three young girls. She was one of seven siblings and they were all there. Her parents were there. Her husband spoke eloquently about her - when he was done I felt I knew her well though I'd only ever met her a handful of times. Her daughters made her proud, they were brave, beautiful and gracious. God was present and glorified in her Requiem Mass. I hope and pray the family felt His love and presence with them. I know they had to feel the love of the many friends who came to share in their grief and to celebrate a life well-lived.

From the grief and sadness of the morning to unspeakable joy tonight - Josie has been asking us lots of questions about faith, about what it means to be a Christian, about life. She's young, but she knows that she wasn't born a Christian and she wants to be one. Tonight was her night - she and her daddy talked for a good long while after their regular evening bible time. He was satisfied with her understanding of who Jesus is, what He did for her, and why she needed Him to do it. He led her in prayer as she asked Jesus to forgive her sins and gave her life over to Him. I know the angels in heaven are rejoicing, and our family is too!!!

Funerals are such a strong reminder that we only get one chance, this life is it, and they cause me to ask myself how I want to live it. This morning many people spoke of Denys' joy and sense of humor. They spoke of her commitment to her children. Her bravery in the face of a terrible disease. Her love of shopping. The thing that really struck me though was when the priest leading the service, the same one who married Denys and Andrew many years ago, said that despite all that they as a family had been through, and all that they will go through, they still knew God is good. I too came away from the morning with a greater understanding of God's goodness to us.  

I am reminded of that as I celebrate with Josie tonight. I am so grateful to know that she knows the Comforter that is always present. I am excited for her as she begins her life of faith and I look forward to watching all that God does in her. I am so grateful to know that no matter where life takes her, she will have the Lord to fill her with hope, joy, comfort, peace and love. That's my prayer tonight for those sweet three girls who said farewell to their Mommy this morning, that they too would know the hope of seeing her again in heaven.

No comments: