Saturday, June 7, 2008

Skating with my stars

Katie's birthday party was today!! She invited some of her new friends to a skating party and a good time was had by all.
I have to admit that I haven't hosted a birthday party for any of the children in ages. I think I just got completely overwhelmed with the way we started out. . . Meggie had three, yes three, birthday parties when she turned one. They weren't small parties either, they were big deals. Then as the kids kept coming and it felt like I was planning birthday parties from March until September I came up with a plan. We started offering the choice of a party, a trip as a family or anything they wanted (one present) from the toy store. I realized even as I made these offers that I would have to put a price cap on the toy store stuff once they got older, but the times they chose that option they never spent more than $50, if that. So, we avoided parties for awhile and had some fun trips as a bonus. It hit me today though that Josie has never had a birthday party- well, except for her baby dedication/1-year-old birthday. I feel a bit badly about that. All that to say, today was simple, small, fun and a HUGE blessing to Katie. I think I'm finally recovered enough to start doing parties again.

We've only skated as a family once before so there was a bit of hugging the wall at the beginning. Katie had spent a few afternoons in her rollerblades on the back porch in Texas, so she caught on quickly and was soon gliding relatively effortlessly across the floor. Thankfully Ellie didn't feel the need to skate so she just ran around sliding down the ramps and generally entertaining herself. That left Meggie and Josie to be looked after and Daddy did a good job with the two of them so that I could take pictures and video, visit with the other adults, set out lunch and take Ellie to the potty on a regular basis. (As an aside, I hate to type it because I don't want to jinx it, but it's been three days since Ellie has had an accident!)

Georgia was the best skater starting out, but it didn't take long before most of the girls were cruising. This pic just caught her after a fall, but as you can see she's not too fussed about it.
This is Katie with Emma. She says she was having a rest for a minute.

Aren't they cute??



By the end of the party, as you can see, even Josie and Meggie were skating on their own. They all begged to go back again soon so obviously their confidence levels were up.

The obligatory photo with Mommy in it just to prove I was there. However, I realized once we got home that I didn't really get too many shots of Daddy either. Oops.

Happy Birthday sweet Katie!! We love you and look forward to celebrating as a family on your actual birthday next week.

No comments: