Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Marsden Athletics

Last week (it seems I'm starting every post lately with "last week", although I guess it's better than "last month". . .) the Upper School at Marsden had their Athletics Day. The girls at Marsden are each assigned a house when you enroll and they usually keep families all together in the same house - so Meggie is in Richmond as are Ottilie, Vita and Aunt Kate. For some reason Hettie and Alex were in different houses, but never mind. Katie is in Innes because she is still in the Lower School, however in Year 7 she will also be put in Richmond. Anyway, the houses compete against each other at various events, one of which is the Athletics Day (Track and Field). Meggie wasn't actually that excited about it since running is not her favorite sport. When the teachers told her she had to sign up for three events she wasn't thrilled, but she did manage to avoid running by signing up for vortex, long jump and tenniquoits (I have never in my life heard of this and I'm still not sure I'm spelling it correctly, but it was another throwing event of some sort and Meggie reckons this is how to spell it, you can click on it to see a link but I'm still skeptical.) Ottilie told me it would be fun if the little girls and I came in the morning to see the house parade so we did and I'm so glad! 


Meggie and Ottilie 

Hettie is house captain for another house - Johnson - so she was in orange, while the Richmond girls wore blue.

 Josie and Ellie with their big girl cousins.


Upon arrival the girls found their house banners and the cheering began. Josie, Ellie and I got some Richmond ribbons and put them in our hair. We hollered right along with them.



The girls all got sorted and lined up on the track to march in the House Parade. The senior girls get to dress in costumes which added to the frivolity and fun.




I've circled Meggie's head in green - see her?

Hettie


I got to meet a few of Meggie's new friends - Lucy and Gothami.



We left Meg as the events started so we could get home and I could start school with the little two. However it was a beautiful day and the laundry was out of control, so instead of school Ellie did a bit of artwork on the driveway.


Ottilie brought Meggie home for me and Meg was full of smiles despite not having placed in any of her events. She was encouraged by Ottilie telling her that she hadn't placed either but they had both earned house points for Richmond just by trying. I am so grateful to have the girls at Marsden with their cousins, it's been a wonderful introduction to school for Meggie and Katie.

No comments: