Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Birthday Celebrations

Today is the day - I turn the big 4-0. Although, technically, I won't be 40 until tomorrow since I was born in Mississippi and it's not the 20th there. Anyway, so far I've had a lovely day! I hate that I still don't have phone access to talk with those from home, but other than that the day has been perfect so far. We woke up early to go pick up Miss Sarah's friend, Ashley, from the airport and then we went and had coffee with Liz who arrived with champagne and lovely jackets she bought the girls. Liz has a birthday on the 22nd, and my other sister-in-law Julie's birthday is today also, so we all plan on getting together to celebrate at some stage. Right now the girls are home doing school with Sarah and I am with Ashley at the library on the computer. Yesterday the cable/internet/phone guys were digging in the garden, hopefully having successfully buried the needed cable. Now we are promised that we will be hooked up on Saturday.

My sisters and mom made me a fantastic photo album with lots of fun photos and letters from my family and friends that I read and cried over, but the rest of the gifts will be opened tonight. Sarah took the girls shopping yesterday, they rode the bus into town and shopped along Lambton Quay. The girls loved the bus ride, I'll send pictures soon.

Today is beautiful outside, the sun is shining and we are warm which isn't always the case. We are going to finish school with the girls and let Ashley have a rest and then this afternoon Meggie and Katie will have their first horseback riding lesson out in the Ohiru Valley. I do hope I can find it, the driving is still an adventure and I find it hard to figure out the names of streets because they are not always sign-posted, or if they are it isn't always in the most obvious place or clear enough for these old eyes to see. When I called for directions I was told to go to Johnsonville, take a left at the second roundabout, turn right at the crossroads and then I can't miss it. Did you notice not a street name mentioned anywhere? And as far as not being able to miss it, they obviously have never travelled with me! But we'll give it a go, the girls are totally stoked.

Last Saturday we drove to Dugald's parents in Palmerston North and spent the day with them. It was a beautiful drive along the sea and we got to see even more of New Zealand which is always fun. The girls were great in the car, the van is still a bit of a novelty and they love it. We had lunch with Hugh and Margaret, then while the girls (and Hugh) rested Margaret and I ran some errands - she took me to a shop I needed to go to for a few bits and pieces for the house. When we got back we went and fed the ducks and Katie caught one! I'll have to post the picture in a few days but she was SO pleased with herself. She is hilarious the way she goes after birds whenever she can. We left Palmerston after dinner and drove home in a bit of rain, but it was a great day and we really enjoyed spending time with Hugh and Margaret.

We also had a lovely Sunday - we tried a new church which was a much larger congregation than last week, but further away. It was a Bible church more like the church we've been attending in Texas, but this week we will try yet another. After church we went for a drive to Days Bay and had a lovely lunch at the Lemongrass Cafe. The girls met a beautiful border collie named Layla and now they are certain that is the kind of dog they want us to get. I'm not sure how much longer we can put this off, but I think now that we've settled on a breed Dugald and I are running out of time. We all really wanted a golden retriever but decided it would probably be too big for our yard and home, though there is a fantastic park just a few doors down from us where we could walk the dog. I welcome any opinions from those of you who have had these breeds - I've heard the border collies are extremely active, but they are also incredibly intelligent and will enjoy herding the children for us :).

After lunch on Sunday we went home, changed clothes, and walked up the street to the McDouall's - Dugald's boss - for an afternoon visit and swim. It was really lovely - they have a beautiful home with lots of room to play and a large garden and their three girls are Alice age 13, Molly age 9 and Vita age 6 as I recall. The girls all went for a swim and played some games and got along really well. Andrew and Denys are very kind, I enjoyed meeting them and Denys helped point me in the right direction for doctors and dentists and ballet classes which was most helpful.

Our lives are starting to settle into more of a routine which is good and each day we feel slightly more at home. I am EAGER for our stuff to arrive from Texas so I can make the house feel more like ours, but we've managed well with the things we have and it was a great plan to rent somewhere already furnished because I can't imagine if I'd had to do it as soon as we got here!

Thanks again for all the emails, ecards and greetings for my birthday! It really has been a great one and I will remember it with joy.

1 comment:

the knight family said...

so glad your birthday has been good. we wish we could celebrate together. but we're glad god's surrounded you with many to love you.
the knights