So a few weekends ago Dugald did the Gutbuster - the 11.8 Kilometer race that I did last year and chronicled in detail for you here. He had a much faster time than I did and like me he did it without training, again I wouldn't recommend it!

All set to start the race.
Dugald and Matt should have won the prize for biggest escort over the finish line - all the kids ran over to celebrate them completing the challenge.
Dugald and Katie jogging backwards for no apparent reason.
In other news, I've just returned from an overnight tramp/hike with my girlfriends. It is the first time I've ever walked anywhere with a backpack and it wasn't easy! We climbed 4600 feet/1400 meters to our destination, with our packs on most of the way. Our hut was at 1200 meters, so we did the last two hundred unencumbered.
Here I am at the hut where we spent the night with about 30 other people. I was going to say where we "slept with" 30 other people to be funny - but the fact is we didn't sleep at all!! We did enjoy an evening meal of chili con carne, chocolate mousse and red wine and we even had enough to share with the poor men at the table behind us suffering with not enough dehydrated food to fill them up.
The views were stunning and worth the effort it took to get up there - but I was a bit worried that going down wasn't going to be any easier. If I hadn't had been so out of breath most of the way up I would have snapped more pics to show you how steep it was, how at one point we had to climb through a mass of tree roots and at another point it looked as though we were rock climbing! I should know by now that Kiwis use the term "trail" very loosely.

My iphone/camera battery got very low by the end of the first day so I didn't take many pictures but others did so I may post a few more at a later date. I feel like quite the adventurer now - and I even made it to swimming this morning despite my aching calves.
Here I am at the hut where we spent the night with about 30 other people. I was going to say where we "slept with" 30 other people to be funny - but the fact is we didn't sleep at all!! We did enjoy an evening meal of chili con carne, chocolate mousse and red wine and we even had enough to share with the poor men at the table behind us suffering with not enough dehydrated food to fill them up.
My iphone/camera battery got very low by the end of the first day so I didn't take many pictures but others did so I may post a few more at a later date. I feel like quite the adventurer now - and I even made it to swimming this morning despite my aching calves. The girls and I made home-made soft pretzels today, very fun and easy! I'll post about it soon. xx
No comments:
Post a Comment