Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What we did between Christmas and New Year

The days between holidays and birthdays were also filled with fun. Auntie Kate gave Ellie a puzzle for Christmas, but even better, she did it with Ellie about 100 times.
The girls all got DS games from their grandparents so there was a lot of that going on - Emily was the expert though so they watched her for tips.
Katie got a hair kit - it had a wig along with some colors to paint on your hair, or face. She decided to try it out on her cousin Hamish.



The adults worked on a puzzle of their own - here are Margaret and Andrew having a go. We worked on it intermittently the entire time and it still wasn't done when we left, although I think the remnant may have finished it after we left!
Sam on his laptop - not too unusual. Sam's my hero though, he helped me recover my ipod music. THANK YOU!! It's great to have techno-savvy people in the family. 
There was a LOT of this going on (watching cricket on t.v. in case you Americans aren't sure what's happening).
Followed by a lot of this (playing cricket in the back yard).

Back at the t.v. Josie cuddles up while Daddy watches another match.
Some of our group went fishing and brought home these, making for a yummy dinner.
Emily caught the biggest one, I think. Oh the stories. . . fishermen always come home with stories!

With her catch. It's terrible taking a picture right into the sun, you can barely see the fish, but it's there. Way to go Em!!
Not to be outdone, Wills caught two fish.
Another day we took the girls to Dublin Bay for a swim and a ride in the boat. We'd been told it was warmer there because the water was shallower. Ahem. 






It wasn't all that warm, but it was fun! I pled illness and stayed on the beach with Hamish while Dugald handled the water sports. Daddy rocks.

Other spare time pursuits included reading with Grandma.
And kicking a ball around with all the "big kids".
Finally cabin fever set in a little bit, and I was feeling a teensy bit more energetic, so we piled in the car and headed down to Queenstown. We boarded the TSS Earnslaw (a steamship built in the 1910's, in the 1920's Dugald's father Hugh would take it to go on holiday across the lake) and sailed over to a sheep farm.
There were also deer at this sheep farm.
And of course sheepdogs, this one is Meg. We actually met this dog when we visited 4 years ago.


Our Meg and I went on a horse trek while the others were petting animals and watching sheep be shorn. It was really fun and we got to see a lot of the station and hear about how it is run, we also saw some amazing views. I didn't have a camera though, it was all I could do to hold on.

Here's our host with the most. Truly, Kate and Ant were so generous. I do feel a tad sorry for Ant though- while we were there his riding mower, boat and car broke but I had nothing to do with any of it!! Those of you who know me from my high school days might immediately think I was involved, but I was not. 

Delaney taught the girls about crossword puzzles.
And while the boys tried to relax on the lawn, the girls were having none of it.
Finally, Meggie channels her inner Hannah Montana.
Next post - our wild and raucous New Year's Eve. 

1 comment:

* said...

beautifully done!